Wednesday, April 11, 2012

February 24 - Serengeti , Mbuzu Mawe to Mbalageti


Today we drove out of the Central Serengeti towards our next stop at Mbalageti. Sandi spotted some Jackal pups and while we were photographing those, Tom spotted two lions resting on rock cliffs…. What an amazing sight! Lions seem to always be working hard on sleeping, I think that its safe to say that they sleep 22 hours of the day.

We saw many more animals… Water bucks, wildebeest, zebra, elephants, giraffe, gazelle, impala, water buffalo… and many more whose names I can’t remember. We saw a crocodile who must have just recently killed a zebra… he was still floating around in the water carrying the carcass in his jaws. I think I’ve taken about 20,000 photos so far… Harry laughs and says that it sounds like machine gun fire when Sandi and I are taking photos!
We hardly passed any jeeps on our way to Mbalageti… I thought that we were out in the middle of nowhere when we were at Mbuze Mawe but now we are really out in the middle of nowhere. Our camp is at the top of a hill… and you can see the Serengeti 360degrees around us. Our tents are absolutely beautiful again… here there is one rock wall and the other walls are canvas. Something just ran across the top of my tent, its dark outside so you can’t really see whats making all the sounds … I guess I better locate the whistle before the lights go out (They give you a whistle so that you can call the Maasai Warriors in case of emergency). Its probably just a small monkey or maybe a small baboon. We have real Maasai guards with sharp spears who are patrolling right outside so I feel safe.

Anyhow.. I better get to sleep… tomorrow will be another long day of game drives in this part of the Serengeti!

No comments:

Post a Comment